L-5-MTHF provides a natural, biologically active form of folate. Folate is essential for cell division and growth, and also works to balance the homocysteine pathway.** These formulas provide folate in the bioidentical, bioactive form, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. L-5-MTHF (the “L” signifying that it is the all-natural [6S] isomer) is the active circulating form of folate found in the body and one of the several forms found in food. In nature it is found only as this [6S] isomer, which is why DFH uses L-5-MTHF, the natural isomer, rather than the mixed (or racemic) form. Our L-5MTHF uses the patented folate derivative Quatrefolic®. This innovative form of folate has demonstrated high bioavailability and solubility as well as long lasting stability. Quatrefolic® L-5-MTHF helps to increase blood folate levels much better than folic acid.**
Recommended Use: As a dietary supplement, take one capsule per day, or as directed by your health care practitioner.
500 mcg methylated folate, as the all natural 6S isomer
L-5-MTHF is a safe and effective way to increase the body’s folate levels. It is especially helpful for patients with demonstrated increased need for folate such as those with either the A1298C or C677T MTHFR mutation. This product provides 500 mcg per capsule of folate in the bioidentical, bioactive form, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. L-5-MTHF (the "L" signifying that it is the all-natural [6S] isomer) is the active circulating form of folate found in the body and one of the several forms found in food. In nature it is found only as this [6S] isomer, which is why DFH provides 5-MTHF as this natural isomer rather than the mixed (or racemic) form.
Individuals who have tested homozygous with either the A1298C or C677T MTHFR mutation, or those with elevated homocysteine levels, should be using L-5-MTHF as the preferred form of folate supplementation. This will be more effective for them than other forms of folic acid or folates.
Others who may benefit from L-5-MTHF:
• Pregnant women and women wishing to become pregnant who have familial history of depression, high homocysteine levels, or genetic defect in MTHFR. Note: All pregnant women should take Prenatal Pro™ as their comprehensive multivitamin; can combine with L-5-MTHF if higher levels of folate are needed.
• Women with abnormal pap smears (precancerous)
• Those with very high homocysteine levels not responding quickly to Homocysteine Supreme™ (consider using them together)
• Dialysis patients
• Organic acid testing that reveals elevated FIGLU (marker used to identify folate deficiency)
• Patients with family history of dementia/vascular dementia
• Patients with depression
• Long-term alcoholism
Long-term use of oral contraceptives, and persistent use of medications to lower folate levels, including high doses of NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen; anticonvulsants (phenytoin, phenobarbital, and primidone); trimethoprim (antibiotic), pyrimethamine (antimalarial), triamterene (blood pressure med.) and sulfasalazine (treatment for ulcerative colitis).